The Department’s vision is to develop and promote the creative and critical capacities of students through the teaching of Greek to both Native and Non Native speakers.
We seek to promote internationalization and to develop academic and human excellence in an environment, which prizes mutual respect, critical autonomy, integrity and trust.
In terms of its pupils, the department aims to do the following:
- Prepare them in the best possible way for success in public examinations
- Enable them to communicate effectively in the Greek language through speaking and the written word
- Prepare them to be independent enquirers by helping them to analyse, evaluate information, consider all aspects of a problem, consider the influence of circumstances, beliefs and feelings on decisions and events and support their conclusions with reasoned arguments and evidence
- Prepare them to be creative thinkers by helping them to generate ideas and explore all possibilities, ask questions, consider other points of view and adapt ideas as circumstances change
- Prepare them to be reflective learners by helping them evaluate their strengths and limitations, set themselves realistic goals with criteria for success, monitor their own performance and progress, invite feedback from others and make changes to further their learning
- Prepare them to be team workers by helping them work confidently with others, adapt to different contexts and take responsibility for their own part
- Help them to develop a knowledge and understanding of the Greek Civilization and encourage them to appreciate the Greek culture and values
- Develop their awareness of current and relevant issues concerning Cyprus, Greece and the world in general
In terms of its staff, the department aims to do the following:
- Provide many opportunities for professional development, both within and outside the department
- Develop a culture of constructive debate, consensus and discussion prior to a decision
- Provide an intellectually stimulating environment for teachers to develop their skills as classroom practitioners
- Develop a culture of resource sharing, teamwork and co-operation to maximise both teacher and pupil potential